Friday 15 June 2012

Graphology (trace2)


The Drawing Room
'Graphology' exhibition  10 May - 30 June 2012


This exhibition is all about automated drawing and is a display of many different types of mark making.

http://www.drawingroom.org.uk/

on the way to The Drawing Room which is in an industrial area off the main road


This exhibition is helping me to think about mark making and writing and typing as forms of  'trace'


This is automated drawing - not all of it done by hand - some by machine ..........
Upon entering the space the first exhibit that I saw was the Pocket Drawing 2000 by William Anastasi
a folded up piece of paper with energized mark making swiggles on it and I immediately thought of
my need to always carry pencil and paper......

I really liked the scale and impact of Tony Conrad's Yellow Movie 1973 which was thick emulsion and enamel paint on a huge black piece of paper mounted to the wall .....there is something very satisfying about a thick layer of paint......

Paul Sharits untitled ink on plexi was effective and it was good to see works by Man Ray, Carl Andre
and Sigmund Freud.
  
Here I am interacting with Fiona Banner's 'Mother' 2009 which is a reconstructed typewriter with a limited number of letter keys ..... so instead of typing the obvious I looked at the top line of keys and wondered what patterns I could make.....





close up of what I typed ...... its years since I typed on a manual typewriter and I miss it .........

interior view of the 'Graphology' exhibition

No comments:

Post a Comment