Friday 22 February 2013

Anna Barham

Argent Minotaur Slept

'an animated section of a large volume of text written from the letters of the phrase 'Return to Leptis Magna', a reference to an ancient archeological ruin. The letters, which are used in Barham's work as a form of building material, rapidly appear on screen and coalesce into words before disappearing form view at the same fast pace. This results in a quick fire succession of phrases  that move figurative meanings and readings, at moments verging on non-sense.'

taken from the exhibition notes.


Anna Barham is one of the artists exhibiting in 'Provisional Information' at Camberwell Space.

I am going along to her performance to find out more as I am interested in her use of text as I have been working with text in my own work.


provisionalinformation.com 

www.annabarham.net 

Anna Barham uses anagrams as a way of writing. She used the letters in the phrase 'Return to Leptis Magna' to form words which become a large body of text that appeared rapidly on a monitor screen. During the reading which lasted 20 minutes I let the sound of the words wash over me although all the time I was aware that my mind was searching for meaning and trying to pick out recognisable words such as rant at sleeping tumour     tip ornate tung stream   lips return to magenta   prune matter to signal

                            


No comments:

Post a Comment