Tuesday 15 January 2013

Book Art: Idea Development

trace 
tracing headlines



From the outset I wanted to avoid tracing headlines of personal tragedy or the sensational news stories. As I continue to trace I see a theme of social inequality and daily hardship emerging. The newspaper headline  is glanced at before the reader either scans the article or turns the page. By tracing selected headlines I am capturing a aspect of the constant stream of information that daily comes our way. I am slowing down or stopping that flow of information like a stop motion animation.


Whilst I trace I reflect. The fonts used in the newspaper headlines are not particularly elegant nor well spaced so my aim is not to produce an exact traced copy of the headline but to trace enough of it to convey the meaning. I am making this tracing as a social record of our society now and I think this scroll may take on a greater resonance when read two, three or ten years hence.





No comments:

Post a Comment